West Coast Fantasy Baseball Association

"Home for fantasy campers before and after camp"
EMail Webmaster Rob

Web hosting services provided by Bravenet

In Memoriam

(updated 10/14/2014)

Paul Roman (6/18/02)

Barry Berman (7/12/03)

Les Groobin (8/20/03)

Bob Simon (9/12/03)

Tom Haller (11/26/04)

Jim McCulloch (9/18/06)

Ed Leidheiser (2/26/07)

Harry Wade (3/29/07)

Ray Doherty (4/20/07)

Larry Kowalski (9/6/08)

Brian Marshall (1/19/09)

Brad Betz (2/3/09)

Joe Mausser (3/18/09)

Dave Marston (6/22/09)

Steve Bennett (4/3/10)

Shirley Michaeloff (10/14/11)

Duane Blevins (9/30/12)

Barney Nugent (2/22/14)

Lou Paul (4/21/14)

Dan Mettler (9/28/14)



WCFBA member Dan Mettler passed away suddenly on September 28th of a massive heart attack.  He was 63 years old.  Dan resided in Lodi and was a regular participant in the 'Stuck in Lodi' tournament every August.  Dan went to the San Francisco Giants fantasy camp in the late 80's and brought back stories of the great times he had.  He is responsible for drumming up interest in the camp with many of the Lodi locals including our own Rich Thomas.   On the field, Dan was a 3rd baseman and solid, line drive hitter.  At his last tournament, he still wore his fantasy camp uniform from the 80's.   How many of us can say that?

Dan's obituary can be found at:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/lodinews/obituary.aspx?pid=172651453  (feel free to sign the guestbook)

There will be a celebration of life for Dan on Sunday, October 19th at 11:00am.  Fittingly, the event will be held at Tony Zupo Field, the home of our annual 'Stuck in Lodi' tournament.  The address is 350 North Washington Street in Lodi.  Any Giant campers who plan to attend are welcome to wear their black away jersies as a show of support.




WCFBA member Lou 'Lindy' Paul passed away on April 21, 2014 at the age of 88 in Gilbert, Arizona.  He spent the final nine months of his life in a dementia care facility after his wife Betty could no longer act as his primary care giver. 

Betty and Lou settled in Arizona in 1991 after spending the previous 15 years in Marin County.  John Wintersteen remembers that Lou attended his first fantasy camp in 1990 at the age of 64.  He became fast friends with Tom Haller and Willie Mays.  Even though they lived in Arizona, Lou continued to play in tournament events like Lodi and San Diego as often as he could.  Each year, Betty and Lou would spend time with old friends in Marin County and Lou would participate in as many WCFBA league games as he could as a pool player.  His frequent designated driver was Steve Bennett.  Lou continued to play with us into his early 80's.  Lou always played second base and was in great physical condition for his age due to his experience as a handball player.  Lou's batting style was to punch the ball by the pitcher and try to beat it out.

When Lou used to live in Omaha, he was member of the Jewish Federation acting as their athletic director.  His obituary can be found in the Jewish Press at:

Louis 'Lindy' Paul Obituary

In memory of her father, and to raise funds for the Alzheimer’s Association, Lou's daughter, Judy Paul, will participate in the Chicago Marathon this fall.  The family has requested that memorials be sent to act.alz.org (click on ‘AlzStars’; then type in Judy’s name in ‘Find an Athlete.’). Memorials may also be made to the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization.





Former Giants trainer and our fantasy camp buddy, Barney Nugent, passed away after a long bout with colon cancer on February 22, 2014.  He was 61 years old.

Most of you Giants campers remember that Barney was the lead trainer at most camps.  Barney retired from the Giants in 2003 and has been living in Arizona with his wife Denise.  The Nugents visited us at the San Diego tournament from time to time as they are close friends with many members of the WCFBA.  A few months before he passed, Barney found out he had colon cancer and that the disease was in an advanced stage.  He and Denise moved to Massachusetts to be close to family while he battled the disease. 

Here is a note that Denise posted on Facebook from Barney while he struggled with the disease:

"I am not on Death's doorstep yet. I am very tired sometimes and still fighting infections, as well as doing as much as I can holistically. I still expects a miracle.  I am up and about at home, go out on occasion and talk to friends who call, and stop by. I like seeing friends and family.

That said, I also began Hospice services this week. Many people only use hospice for the very end of life care. Hospice also helps to prolong ones quality of life, help to keep one out of the hospital and managed at home, helps with pain control and other symptoms so they can do as much as they can or want to. They offer music therapy, massage and other holistic avenues. They also offer support to other family members including nieces, nephews, brothers, sisters, etc.  And one can go on and off hospice if they need or want to.  So, we begin this phase of the journey. We share this info so that rumors won’t be created from info out there.--or you have me in a grave before I am. Thoughts create realities.

We know from our own experience that this is hard to talk about or deal with.. and often folks don't know what to say or they stop coming around. That leaves Denise and I wondering..why? This is when we need you...this is hard for us all. This is when it's OK to cry and laugh together.

So, as a former player who called me today began his conversation with--"I don't know what to say, this really sucks"...that is a good starting point!!!


You can read Barney's obituary at:


The Family requests in lieu of flowers, donations be made to:


5010 E.Shea Blvd, Suite D-202

Phoenix AZ, 85254 (www.pitch4kidz.org)



WCFBA member Duane Blevins passed away on September 30, 2012 at the age of 53 in Kapolei, Hawaii.  It was determined that his death was due to a heart attack.  Funeral services were held at the Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall in Honolulu on October 20th. 

We only knew Duane for a short period of time, but he made quite the impression on the WCFBA during the one year he played with us.  He began league and tournament play with us during the 2008 season.  He was an above average player who played a lot of baseball during his high school years in Thousand Oaks, California.  He played the left side of the infield and did some pitching as well. 

Early in 2008, Duane and his future wife, Rhonda, decided to get married on the field of play during our annual San Diego tournament at Pt. Loma Nazarene University.  The Giants team and the Dodgers team scheduled to play at that time participated in the ceremony.  It is an event that many of us still talk about today.

Duane and Rhonda decided to move to Hawaii near the end of 2008 to start their life anew.  He would check in from time to time to let us know that he missed us all, but he was very happy in his new life.  Rhonda continues to live and work in Hawaii.




A fixture at our annual Lodi tournament, Shirley Michaeloff, the 'Corn Dog Lady', passed away on October 14, 2011 at the age of 77.  Shirley's family has run the snack bar at the Lodi tournament ever since Rich Thomas started the event back in 1991.  Shirley's family recipe for corn dogs made each year's trip to Lodi that much more fun for all of us.  Many of us have pre-ordered boxes of corn dogs to take home after the tournament.  We were not alone.  Shirley's corn dogs have been popular in the Lodi area since the 70's.  She has run concessions at many local events for years. 

Shirley always had a smile on her face and loved working our events.  Rich often said that if Shirley stopped working the tournament, he would stop running it.  Thankfully Shirley has passed down her recipe to her granddaughter Christi.  Christi Michaeloff has agreed to keep working the Lodi tournament along with the rest of the concession staff that we have come to love.

Click on the link below to read Shirley's obituary on Legacy.com:

Shirley Michaeloff Obituary




Steve Bennett loved his life and lived it to the very fullest.  A man of many talents, Captain Steve, as he was known to many, passionately embraced at least four different worlds.  By trade he was an airline pilot for 26 years: first with Western Airlines, then as a captain with Delta Airlines, putting in hundreds of thousands of miles of flight time.  He also owned a meticulously renovated 1969 single-engine Piper Comanche with which he ferried fellow ballplayers to and from tournaments around the state, and his mom to and from her home in Nevada.  His enthusiasm to fly also led him to join the Navy League’s Oakland chapter where he helped with the refurbishing and preservation of the Hornet aircraft carrier. He was also liaison to the active carrier, Enterprise, and helped with events for the sailors during Fleet Week in San Francisco.

Having never played baseball, a friend coerced him into signing up for the San Francisco Giants Fantasy Camp in Scottsdale in 2003.  Since then, he played baseball with the enthusiasm of a twelve year old. There he found a new family and legion of devoted friends by joining the West Coast Fantasy Baseball Association and played in every game possible for the next seven years.  He readily admitted that it wasn‘t just the game that attracted him, but “the hang” with teammates and their families.  The most recent squad renamed the team “The Captains” in honor of Steve and in support of his battle against cancer.

Then there was Steve Bennett the musician, one of the most talented bassists in The San Francisco Bay Area.  He acquired his musical genes from his late father Russ, who played guitar with thirties and forties Big Bands and is enshrined on more than a few discs of vinyl that Steve was most proud of.   A Santa Cruz product with 40-plus years of funk, R&B, jazz, rock, Brazilian and Latin music experience, Steve toured, played and recorded with the likes of Richie Cole, Pat Simmons, Russell Ferrante, Joyce Cooling, Smith Dobson and Terry Garthwaite.  He performed at the San Francisco and Monterey Jazz Festivals and for many years enjoyed playing with several talented musicians in the Marin County area. 

Steve’s first and greatest passion was his family: wife and soul mate Kristen (and their two kitties) of Mill Valley, his “Mother Bear“, Mary Lou, of Gardnerville, Nevada, nephew Jordan LeBeouf and Kristen’s loving extended family.

Steve was one of those rare people whose personality naturally drew others to him.  He was a man of humor, integrity, innocence, generosity and great talent whose joie de vivre proved contagious.   He and Kristen often enjoyed entertaining friends and sharing gourmet food and outstanding vintage wines from his private collection.  And he was a social golfer whose often three-digit scores never diminished the fun he had with Kris and friends on the course.  His secret weapon . . . the 1 iron.

Steve often remarked how lucky he was to have the life he led; he truly appreciated everything and everyone he shared it with.   He was, to put it simply, one of the nicest guys anyone could ever hope to meet and get to know.  And to know him was to appreciate all he had to offer.  He will be sorely missed by so, so many.

Steve is survived by his wife Kristen, mother, Mary Lou Corp, nephew Jordan Le Beouf, in-laws Jack and Ann Myers, Marye Joshua,  Dan Myers and wife Alexandra, Jack Myers and wife Suzanne, Curt Myers and wife Sonia, and eight nieces and nephews.

In lieu of flowers, Kristen asks that donations be made in Steve’s name to one of the following organizations:

Kuumbwa Jazz
320-2 Cedar St.
Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Hospice by the Bay
17 E. Sir Francis Drake Blvd.
Larkspur, CA  94939


Junior Giants/Giants Community Fund
AT&T Park
24 Willie Mays Plaza
San Francisco, CA 94107



Former Giants camper Dave Marston passed away on June 22, 2009 at the age of 56 from a rare disease.  Dave was diagnosed with something called Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, a degenerative neurological disorder.  It is very fast moving and presents itself physically by robbing its victims of speech and motor skills.  Dave's wife Tami contacted us from their home in Oregon in early May to let us know of Dave's condition and to see if we could help with his special request.  Dave and his family were coming to San Francisco the following weekend for tests and further diagnosis at the UCSF Medical Center.  Dave wanted to see one last Giants game at AT&T park, but it would have to be in a wheelchair.  He could no longer walk.  We put the word out and some people really stepped up and made the WCFBA proud.  David "Chilly" Chilcote merits special mention.  Chilly contacted the Giants directly, explained the situation and the special circumstances, and acquired four free tickets in the wheelchair row with parking for the game.  Dave and his family had a wonderful time at the game.  While he couldn't say much, Tami could see in his smile how much it meant to him.  Dave went to the game on May 17th and he passed away just five weeks later.

In addition to being a ballplayer, Dave was an accomplished musician.  He was in a Beatles tribute band called the Nowhere Men.  The web site contains videos of many of the band's performances:


The family was hit hard by the medical costs and several funds have been set up to defray costs.  Donations can be mailed directly to the Marston's at:

Dave Marston & Family Fund
c/o Rogue Federal Credit Union
PO Box 4550
Medford, OR 97501

Alternatively, one can donate at the web site as well at http://site.davemarstonfamily.com/

Read more about Dave and his family at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/marstonfamily/mystory

Read about how the community has celebrated Dave's life at http://www.dailytidings.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090720/LIFE/907200309.





One of the caretakers of the Dodgertown West organization, Dodger camper Joe Mausser passed away on March 18, 2009 at the age of 89.  Joe suffered a stroke toward the end of 2007 and spent his final months under hospital care.  He went to his first Dodger fantasy camp back in 1986 at the age of 63 and immediately fell in love with playing the game again.  He became immersed in Dodgertown West and eventually became its commissioner.  Joe was the second Commissioner of Dodgertown West and served for twelve years before turning over the reigns to Neil Adams several years back.  Even in his later years, he continued to play and serve as an advisor to the Dodgertown West Board of Directors. 

Mark Stone wrote an article about Joe's impact on adult baseball in the Los Angeles area which appeared in the Summer 2009 issue of Hardball magazine.  Mark also wrote a short article about Joe's baseball life which can be found on the Dodgertown West web site at:


The cartoon of Joe at the left was done by Dan Hofstedt of Dodgertown West and Disney fame.






Our friend from the Padres, camper Brad Betz passed away on February 3, 2009 at the age of 66 after a long battle with prostate cancer.  Brad went to some of the early Padres' fantasy camps back in the early 2000's.  After the Padres' camp was discontinued, Brad was a regular participant in tournaments hosted by the Giants.  Catcher was his position of choice, but he could be found roaming the outfield as well.  He was a Padres' season ticket holder and played in San Diego area MSBL leagues as well.

Friends and family put together a web site to let people know about Brad's passing and the service details.  The site also contains several photos of Brad and his family and friends along with an area to post messages in remembrance.  You can view the web site by clicking the following link:




Camper Brian Marshall passed away on January 19th, 2009 at the age of 42.  Brian had been to several Giants fantasy camps including one with cousins Matt McGough and Scott Olmstead.  Brian was an accomplished baseball player and was good enough to receive a college scholarship.  Even after it became apparent that his career would not be as a professional baseball player, Brian never lost his love for the game.  Brian's obituary appeared in the San Jose Mercury:

Brian Peter Marshall (Nov. 29, 1966 - Jan. 19, 2009) Born in So. California, Brian is survived by his wife, two children, a brother, a sister and his father. His mother preceded his death and he is joined once again with her. Brian attended Santa Teresa H.S., went to San Diego State University on a baseball scholarship and graduated from San Jose State University with a B.S. in business. He worked for several computer software companies in sales and sales management. As an accomplished athlete, his passion for baseball included attending several S.F. Giants spring training camps and more than ever, his involvement as an assistant baseball coach for Santa Teresa H.S. In addition to his love for family, his limitless love and knowledge of music was immeasurable. Brian was known for his generosity and it extended to anyone in need. He touched many lives and his loss is a tragedy. We miss him and always will. Memorial Mass at Holy Spirit Church 1200 Redmond Ave., San Jose, CA, Sat. January 24, 2009 at 2:00 PM. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to the:

Marshall Children Educational Fund
c/o Concert Wealth Management
1871 The Alameda, Suite 350
San Jose, CA 95126

At the time of his death, Brian left behind two children, Jack (three years old) and Emily (nine months old).



Brothers Steve (left) and Larry Kowalski

Camper Larry Kowalski passed away on September 6th, 2008 at the age of 51 during a biking trip in Italy.  Larry and his brother Steve had attended fantasy camp together, but perhaps are better known to the Bay Area as the participants in a kidney transplant operation a few years earlier.  Larry was born with only one kidney and it had started to fail on him.  Steve agreed to donate one of his kidneys as he was a perfect match.  The operation was a huge success and was the topic of many medical journal articles.  Here is an article about the procedure from the San Luis Obispo Tribune:

Larry Kowalski Stanford Hospital Article from San Luis Obispo Tribune (04/07/07)

Larry was a successful restaurant owner in San Luis Obispo and was beloved by the community.  He and brother Steve also served as 'ball dudes' for Giants games in San Francisco (pictured at right).








Long-time camper Ray Doherty, passed away on April 20th, 2007 at the age of 71 after a short bout with cancer.  When this devoted Giants fan turned 65, his wife Joanne surprised him by giving him a trip to the Giants Fantasy Camp. He was actually both terribly excited and terribly scared when he got to camp that week. However, it turned out to be so special that he ended up going back to Fantasy Camp every year for the next five years.  He even took son Bill with him one year.

Joanne and friends created a web site to honor Ray called:


Here you can read about Ray's fabulous career in theatre, his love for his family, friends, and baseball, and his difficult final days.  Joanne has recently posted a note for all wishing to show their love for Ray:

The Ray Doherty Scholarship

Beginning this year, a $1,000 scholarship will be given to a Sequoia High School graduating senior for his or her participation and contribution to the Sequoia Drama Department. The scholarship was created to honor Ray's dedication to excellence in drama at Sequoia, and its first recipient will be announced at the May 28th Memorial Celebration.

If you'd like to contribute to the Ray Doherty Drama Scholarship:

  • Send a check payable to Sequoia High School. On the "For" line (in the lower left-hand side of your check), write: Ray Doherty Drama Scholarship Fund.

  • Send the check to Linda Patience, IB/Title 1 Secretary, Sequoia High School, 1201 Brewster Avenue, Redwood City, CA 94062.

  • Your tax-deductible contribution will be acknowledged via letter from Sequoia High School.

In lieu of flowers, the family prefers donations to this newly created, perpetual drama scholarship or to the American Cancer Society.



"Home Run" Harry Wade passed away in his sleep on March 29th, 2007 at the age of 55.  Harry went to countless fantasy camps and tournaments.  Most who met him didn't like him at first.  However, Harry had a tendency to grow on you and soon had you laughing.  He is in the Los Angeles Dodgers Fantasy Camp Hall of Fame (inducted in 2004).  Neil Adams of the Dodgers made the following announcement regarding Harry's death:

"It is with great sadness that this news be passed on to our membership. Yesterday in Las Vegas, Harry Wade passed away.  Harry was a long time member of DTW having attended his first camp in 1987. It's been said many times that once you  understand that with Harry, nothing is sacred, then you love him like a brother. He was always entertaining in the dugout, or anywhere for that matter, cracking jokes and making comments.

Over the years, he participated in well over a hundred DTW tournaments and was involved in many baseball trips to all parts of the world. Harry was always very helpful to everyone on the trips, especially in Cuba, where his knowledge of Spanish and the culture made it easy to help all the others feel more comfortable.  Harry will be sorely missed."

Harry's good friend, Dennis McCroskey, had this to say about Harry:

"Harry was my friend for 20 years.  We played together both on and off the field.  We played in eight different states and traveled the world to ten different countries.   He was my roommate a countless number of times.  Harry was the kind of guy that many people did not like at first.  As you got to know him, you realized what great wit he had and what a generous person he was.  As Harry used to say "Either love me or hate me, just make up your mind".

Harry was unique and unlike anyone else you would meet.  He was always the life of the party, kept the bench loose and never seemed to run out of stories, and he could tell them with the best of them.  Nothing was sacred with Harry, he could make a joke about anything.  I learned a lot from Harry on many levels and I will surely miss a good friend."

Dennis created the following web page to honor Harry and his music (yes, he could sing):


NOTE : Harry's wife, Helen, passed away on 12/29/08 of a heart attack. 



Father and son, Ed and Steve Leidheiser, attended fantasy camp together in 1994.  Ed passed away on February 26th, 2007 at the age of 76 after a brief bout with lymphoma.  Steve wrote a tribute to his father and a portion of that follows:

Ed or "Big E" as we often referred to him, was in a class by himself.  He had his priorities properly aligned:  God, family, and friends.

I will always have fond memories of the time my Dad and I went  to Fantasy Baseball Camp together in 1994.  Dad was one of the oldest players in camp at 63, yet he competed with guys half his age.  I kidded him on the second day of camp about a calf injury he had sustained earlier that day.  I told him the only reason he had gotten hurt was so that I would have to run for him.  Dad was an avid sports fan and great teacher.  He never pushed us into sports, but was always there to support us and lend his advice.

When I hear the word friendship, I think of my father.  He had a network of friends that spanned the globe, from Harald in Germany to Bob in Arizona and Randy in Florida.  He made it a habit to stay in touch with folks and always encouraged them to come visit.  He also loved to travel with friends and enjoyed being around others.

Speaking of friends, I don't know too many sons that consider their Dad as one of their best friends.  I can honestly say he was one of my best friends.  In fact, my friends considered him a dear friend, too.  In high school, everyone would come by my house so he could help us with our chemistry or physics homework.  I think he was the only one who understood it.  It was his zest and enthusiasm for living that made him a joy to be around.

I'll also miss our telephone conversations after Carolina games or just watching sports on TV with him.  We enjoyed playing golf together too.  Those were special times.  However, even though I'll miss him, he left us all with a lifetime of memories that we will cherish forever.  The day before he died, I told him that they were planning a big baseball game in heaven and he needed to get ready.  It was his turn to pitch.

Thanks for being a true inspiration to all of us, Dad.  You taught us the true meaning of life.




My former teammate and friend, Jim "Chainsaw" McCulloch, passed away after a long illness on September 18th, 2006.  Jim attended a couple of camps in the mid 90's and then played in several tournaments in the Southern California area where he lived.  My memories of Jim include the time he played in a game in San Diego while his then 10 year old umpired the bases.  Jim was always smiling and just loved being on the field.  Even during his illness, Jim lived vicariously through us by reading every email and web update we sent out.  He frequently sent me updates on his condition some of which I shared with you all from time to time.

Jim is survived by his wife, Karen, and their two children.  Karen emailed to thank us all for our support.  Pneumonia proved to be too much for his system.  Karen said he always wanted to get back on the field with us and that at his funeral, his Giants jersey was displayed.  She told those in attendance that baseball was his first love and that the jersey represented that.

If anyone would like to send Karen their condolences, you can email her at kmcc1129@aol.com.





As many of you know from the email updates sent by camper Dennis Healey, our good friend and former Giant catcher Tom Haller had been ill for quite some time.  It is believed he contracted the West Nile virus during a trip to Colorado.  After a long struggle, Tom passed away on November 26th in Los Angeles.  He is survived by his wife Joan and their two children, Tom Jr. and Tim.

Cards can be sent to the home at:
75-315 Montecito Drive
Indian Wells, CA  92210
E-mails can be sent to them at Hallers2@aol.com.

In lieu of flowers, the family would like donations to go to the scholarship fund at Marywood Country Day School (where Tom was active as the past President of the Board of Trustees) or to St. John's Lutheran Church.  The addresses are as follows:

Marywood Country Day School
72-850 Clancy Road
Rancho Mirage, CA  92270
St. John's Lutheran Church
42-695 Washington Street
Palm Desert, CA  92211

Former Dodger General Manager and current MLB.com correspondent Fred Claire wrote a nice tribute to Tom which has appeared on both the Giants' and Dodgers' web sites.  Take a read at:

Fred Claire on Tom Haller - 12/01/04




Bob Simon, Michael's dad and our baseball teammate at many a camp and tournament, passed away on the evening of September 12th after a long illness.

Services were held at Holy Angels Catholic Church in Colma on September 16th and 17th. 

Virginia, Bob's wife, has requested that donations in lieu of flowers be made to Holy Angels Building Fund or the San Francisco Giants Community Fund.  The church can be reached at:

Holy Angels Catholic Church
107 San Pedro Road
Colma, CA 94015

Bob's obituary can be found below:

Robert Simon

Being called to the eternal baseball game in heaven on Friday September 12, 2003, Robert will be continue to keep his scouting eye on his loving wife Virginia, brother Joseph, sister-in-law Debbie, sons Michael, Donald and Gregory, daughters-in-law Cheryl, Cathy and Angie, grandchildren Corey, Jason, Matthew, Alex, Marie, and Ben, niece Frances and assorted ranks of cousins and former teammates.

Born in San Francisco and raised in the Richmond District, Robert attended St Monica’s, Sacred Heart, spent time in the Navy; including time on the USS Anderson, and completed his Business Degree at USF.

He devoted much of his life to making a difference in the lives of people he met. He was a lifetime member of the Knights of Columbus, taught CCD at Holy Angels for 33 years, was a coach and Athletic Director at Holy Angels, and worked in various capacities for the Daly City Recreation Department. He served in various capacities including Cub Master and Scout Master for Packs 259 and Troop 259. He was a positive influence in the lives of a majority of the young men and women in Daly City from both private and public schools.

Robert loved all sports but was particularly active in baseball, softball and basketball. He played baseball and basketball at Sacred Heart and was offered a minor league contract after a 1957 tryout at Seals Stadium. He chose a business career instead, but played countless semi-pro games for the Jefferson’s, My Pet Market, and the San Francisco Old Timer’s Baseball Association. He helped organize the San Francisco Advertising Softball League and also played in their basketball league for several years. He attended the Giants Fantasy Camp in 1992 and continued to play baseball through the year 2000 as his health would allow.




On Wednesday, August 20th, the world lost a great man when our friend Les Groobin was killed in a car accident near Parker, Arizona.  He is survived by his wife Linda and his children Scott, age 18, and Chrissy, age 16.  Les was driving his son Scott down to the University of Arizona where he was to start school.  Scott survived the accident and is back at home with his mother.  The memorial service was held on Sunday, August 31, 2003 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Walnut Creek Civic Park Community Center, 1375 Civic Dr. Walnut Creek.

Randy Wallace was the master of ceremonies for much of the memorial service and some other former teammates of Les spoke as well.  Several other things were done to honor Les:

- Mike Marks now has some bat patches similar to the ones made for Paul Roman and Barry Berman.  These will be made available at future tournaments for $1.

- Lapel pins with Les' #13 were available at the service.

- Les' Giants warm-up jacket from Lodi was available for us to sign at the service. 






Another member of our baseball fraternity has passed away. Barry Berman from the Dodgers, who has successfully run our annual Bakersfield tournament since the early 1990's, was shot to death by his ex-wife early on the morning of Saturday, July 12. Barry was one of the people who understood what our tournaments were all about . . friendship and camaraderie. He loved baseball and he loved to laugh. He made sure that those who attended his events had a good time. Once Barry was introduced to you, he didn't need to be told your name a second time. Working with him to put any event together has always been a pleasure and not a chore. He will most certainly be missed.

Many of you met Barry's fiancee, Kay, in either Bakersfield, Fresno, or San Diego this year. They were to be married at home plate during Dodger Fantasy Camp this coming November. I have included a note from her about Barry's death:


Dear All,

Hopefully, before you read this is the newspaper, this can prepare you for the tragic news.

Barry, my fiancee, was shot and killed by his ex-wife, Marilyn, yesterday. She had called Barry the day before to ask him to reset the sprinkler system. After she killed him, she shot herself a few times and is in a hospital.

We were to be married in Florida at the Dodger Fantasy Training Camp at home base on November 7th of this year.

Only with God's help, my family and friends am I making it though this time. I'm having trouble from time to time trying to speak. Please be patient.

For my AA friends, I'm doing my best to stay in the now by the Grace of God. The steps. The steps.

I'll let you know when the funeral will be held.

Namaste, Kay Lewis





Click here to learn about the Paul Roman Award


(February 21, 1949 - June 18, 2002)

Hello all -

I have some very difficult news to report.  This morning, at 5:25 a.m., Paul Roman passed away in his sleep.  His wife Jackie said she is unsure at this point what the exact cause of death is, but it is believed to be a massive heart attack.  The paramedics said things happened very quickly and that Paul had no extended suffering.

For those of you who didn't know Paul, he was a fixture at Giants tournaments since the early 90's.  In fact, he played his final game this past Father's Day at Santa Clara High School.  He caught the majority of the game and had us laughing with his wisecracks the whole game.  Most of you know Paul for bringing music and announcing to our baseball events and he recently set up his own company, Music My Way, shortly after retiring from a successful high tech career.  Paul provided the sound for this past year's fantasy camp in Arizona and was a big hit with the campers and the pros. 

He always looked at things in a positive light and loved getting up every morning to greet the day's events.  I feel fortunate to have called him my friend.

Rob Weber